Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Spiritually Speaking

Merry Christmas! I know of no other, two word phrase, that means so much to so many. It has been said many times, many ways. I think the angel Gabriel said it first like this, “Greetings, you who are most highly favored! The Lord is with you. Do not be afraid, Mary you have found favor with God. You will be with child and give birth to a son, and you will give Him the name Jesus. He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High God.” Mary said it like this, “My soul glorifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, For He has been mindful of the humble state of His servant. From now on all generations will call me blessed, for the Mighty One has done great things for me, holy is His name.” Then in the hills outside of Bethlehem an angel and the angelic host said it like this, “ Today in the city of David a savior is born who is Christ the Lord. This will be a sign to you: you will find a baby wrapped in swaddling cloths, lying in a manger.” Then the host sang “Glory to God in the highest and on earth peace and good will to men.” Through the ages people have said it with gifts. I guess the “Wise Men” with their gold, frankincense and myrrh started that. Others have written songs and poems, that fill our hearts with emotion and express for us more than we can express ourselves. When we think about God’s greatest gift to man, how we say “Merry Christmas” to each other is really not the important thing. It’s how we say “Merry Christmas” to Him. I think the shepherds really got it right. “When they had seen Him they spread the word concerning what had been told them about this child.” Have you seen Him? Do you know Him? If you know Him spread the word. Let your “Merry Christmas” be the opening phrase to telling someone about Jesus, and I’ll see you in Church, and Merry Christmas from Pat and Peggy Ozment.

No comments: